This is a second post for the blog.
We’re pretty excited over the cool things we learn about other Backpack Entrepreneurs. Turns out there’s some amazing history as well as a bright future for us types. Here are 10 amazing facts you probably didn’t know about digital nomads…
- The first digital nomad rode a ‘high tech’ bicycle/computer 17,000 miles around the USA. He was a journalist named Steven Roberts.
- The term ‘Digital Nomad’ was coined by Tsugio Makimoto in his book, Digital Nomad. He’s the former CEO of Hitachi, and CTO of Sony. An original copy of his book now sells for $85
- 40% of the US workforce could actually do what they do from anywhere according to a US government study.*
- 45% of digital nomads became a digital nomad in the last year. That means the population is doubling every 2 years.
- In a survey by UpWork, 92% of digital nomads said they’re happier since they’ve become ‘location independent’.
- 19% of digital nomads saw their incomes double in the first year of becoming a digital nomad.
- 67% work as freelancers.
- 34% of digital nomads hire other freelancers to work with them.
- 70% of nomads saw an increase in productivity.
- 79% said they expect to be a digital nomad for the rest of their life.